We have now been in the Springs for a week and a half and there are few things that I have observed about the area, and the changes that I have enjoyed in myself because of our location.
1. The weather is extremely ADD. 87 degrees, sunny and then quickly followed by grey skies and thunderstorms. Very wonderful! :) Just when you think it's getting too hot, you are surprised by the beautiful and refreshing rain.
2. I don't wear a lot of makeup, nor do the women of the Springs. I have never felt very comfortable going to the store wearing athletic shorts, a tank top, hair in a pony tail, with a clean face. It's so refreshing to know that there is an area in the country where people...just... are.
3. I have been loving my Chacos and the lack of toe nail polish.
4. I have a desire to want to be outside.
5. People cannot drive here... at least on the freeways. I traveled to the Denver area to see a friend and while it was a lovely drive, it was so frustrating! I was coming down a hill and noticed that everyone was in the left lane trying to pass one truck with a trailer. At least 20 cars trying to pass one car. The speed limit is 75, so people go at least 80. The person leading the passing train is going 78 which allows for them to pass the truck who is going 76, but at a very slow rate. Does this sound like a physics question yet? Well it should! The answer is quite easy. Increase your speed to quickly and efficiently to pass the truck, then proceed to return to the right lane of travel so others may also quickly pass you. I promise it is as easy as that. I might've actually been speaking loudly, otherwise known as yelling, and putting both hands, yes both, on my head in frustration. Alas, I did arrive at my location, but it was not as enjoyable as a drive in the mountains should be.
6. I think just living here is making me eat healthier.
7. My thoughts often drift towards the idea of living outdoors and having few possessions.
8. While people live in nice big houses and drive nice cars, people are not as pretentious here. While this is probably just my limited world view at this time, I have enjoyed seeing this welcome change to the Dallas mentality. I saw a Porsche with a bike rack on it. It made me laugh cause I don't think I would put my bike on a $90,000 car. Dallas folk believe that: I may only make $30,000 a year, but I will appear to be more wealthy cause I will drive a brand new red Mercedes and have a $800 purse and eat out frequently at ritzy joints even if that means living in an apartment and being $20,000 in debt.
I am sure there are many more little things that I have seen since being here, but they have slipped my mind at this time.
I am super excited for this weekend. Sean and I will be going camping with some friends who live north of Denver. It's going to be awesome!!! Can you believe that this is the first time that Sean and I have gone camping as a married couple. Can't wait. And we are going to have wonderful company with Alison and Aaron Rogstad. They are practically REI representatives.
Pictures to come next week.
No comments:
Post a Comment